Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Happy Birthday George!!! George is my brother in Louisville, Kentucky. Happy Birthday Morris!!! Morris is our friend in Houston, Texas… Congratulations to our son David for getting his new job promotion at Tinker Air Force Base. David we are so proud of you… David and Kenny called last night. I love talking to our sons… I didn’t post a journal yesterday because by the time Dave and I saw the doctor, went to Wal-Mart, and met Alfred and Martha at Fire Mountain for dinner I was too tired by the time I got home. All I could think about was getting to bed… Dave and I are so happy we found Dr. Brown our family doctor. When we moved here in May we didn’t know anyone so we had to pick a doctor out of the phone book. We decided to go with a name we could both pronounce and that is how we ended up with Dr. Brown and we really like him. We never have a long wait to see him and he spends plenty of time with us. Yesterday he changed Dave’s blood pressure medicines and he changed my inhaler. He can’t believe how bad I am wheezing. He keeps teasing me about having to give up those cigarettes of course I don’t smoke… When we got to Wal-Mart they didn’t have any wheelchair for Dave to push me in so I ended up in a motorized one. Dave gets so nervous with me in one of them. He just doesn’t trust me. I don’t know why. The only person I ran over was Dave… We always have a good time with our friends and the meal was okay too. Food just doesn’t taste that good to me right now. I enjoyed the mashed potatoes and gravy more than anything else. Mashed potatoes and corn bread are my comfort foods… Dave had to make another trip to Tinker today to get our new medicines. Then he met with Alfred to use his truck to haul home the sheet rock for Dave to finish up his workshop… I did a load of laundry and fixed supper… Nancy, a phone buddy called and a call from Angela Buckelew my favorite news anchor that did my TV interview several years ago… We had a beautiful day with sunshine and tonight I watched the sunset… I have been reading some more of “The Notebook”… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home