Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

I took two cough pills before going to bed last night and I was able to sleep through the night without a coughing spell… I woke up with a terrible headache this morning on the right side of my head but thank goodness it didn’t last that long… There were several Robins in our back yard this morning. It seems every year they show up a little earlier than the year before… David called this morning. He is such a busy guy. He has been hauling a cow back and forth to the vet. Seems as though the cow has stepped on some barbed wire. There is a big difference in hauling a cow and a dog to the vet. He has to take the cow back again Monday… I called a school friend Lyn in South Dakota. Lyn just recently had a shunt put in and seems to be doing okay… I washed a load of clothes, cleaned the bathroom, and made some peanut butter cookies… Dave and I watched a DVD this afternoon. “Cellular” … My Aunt Florence called… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home