Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Happy Belated Birthday Norma!!! Norma is our friend in North Carolina… Happy Belated Birthday Norma!!! Norma is a special friend in California
Thanks to Judy in Clemmons, North Carolina and Lulu in Cocoa, Florida for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book at my other web page. http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/mari5113/index.html
Sorry but I needed a few days off from journaling. I have been a pretty sick girl and this has been going on since before Christmas… I have made several trips to the doctors and gone through two rounds of antibiotics and I didn’t get any better. The coughing and wheezing continued… Yesterday I went to see a pulmonary doctor, she was recommended to me by Lori’s sister Brenda… I really liked this doctor. The first thing that she had me do was to get an X-ray. After examining me she gave me a steroid shot. She said my X-ray showed that my lungs were clear. She is thinking I have Asthma. Then she made an appointment for a pulmonary exam for this morning at Mercy Hospital and also scheduled me for a sleep study for tonight at Deaconess Hospital in Bethany. So I will be spending tonight at the hospital. I am hoping that comes out okay. If I find out I have sleep apnea that means I will probably have to sleep with a C Pap machine. Dave is already doing that and has for several years now… The doctor leaves tomorrow for a two-week vacation so I probably won’t know anything until I go back for my appointment next month… I got caught up on the laundry yesterday because I had to because Dave was running out of underwear… Clarence, if you are reading this I did get the picture of you and Joann but when I tried to write you it came back as undeliverable. I am wondering if you have accidentally blocked me… I have called a few friends today and trying to cheer up a friend always makes me feel better… Today before I go into the hospital we are meeting with Alfred and Martha for dinner… Tonight Dave will have some ME time… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home