Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Thanks to Dewey in North Carolina and Norma in California for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book…
Dave woke me up early this morning so I could go to the doctor’s office for some lab work. They took so much blood from me I asked the tech if I was giving blood. This is for a follow up on my cholesterol that I had checked about three months ago. Now I just wait for them to call me with the results… Then we went the Dean A McGee Eye Institute for my eye appointment. Dr. Hester said that my left eye cataract had gotten much worse since he last checked it and I was ready for another surgery. He suggested I go get some reading glasses to tie me over until after the surgery. This is because my close up vision has gotten worse and I am having trouble reading small print… Then we went to David and Lori’s. David called us last night and said we needed to come out to see them. He said they had bait for us… We had lunch with them and I got to feed Macey her baby food and give her a bottle then I watched her roll over on the floor. She is going everywhere now. Later I rocked her to sleep… I watched Madison play with her play dough and even got my hands in the dough, I made a turtle for her. She is going next week to visit a day care so she is talking about going to school now and having to do homework. LOL… We left there with fifty pounds of black oiled sunflower seeds and lots of leftovers. Lori made us a chicken potpie and a dish of chicken enchiladas and all I have to do is bake them. They are so good to us… We went by the commissary and picked up some fruit and vegetables and came home… I am really tired but have a good reason to be… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home