Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Today would have been Dave's Mother's 97th. birthday. We all miss her very much...
Thanks to Clarence and Joann in Welcome, North Carolina for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book… I am thinking the steroid shot and the breathing treatment helped me yesterday… We had a nice dinner at Alfredo’s with Alfred and Martha and I didn’t have too much trouble with coughing. I was really worried I would have a bad coughing spell in front of everyone. Then we went to their home for some desert and from there Dave took me to the hospital for my sleep study. I didn’t sleep real well. I woke up coughing a couple times. It could have been much worse. The tech gave me an Ambien to help me sleep… The hospital also has mental patients there. I was dreaming that there was a mental patient that kept coming into my room trying to unhook all my wiring. LOL The test was over with at 5:00 and Dave was there to pick me up… I won’t know how I did on the breathing test or the sleep study until my doctor returns from vacation in a couple weeks. I got home and got in the shower and it took me two shampoos to get all the gunk out my hair they had used to wire up my head… I have been back to coughing and wheezing today. But I have my inhaler and cough syrup. Kenny is picking up some medication for me that is to help with my cough that the doctor recommended… I called Chip and he isn’t feeling well either. We tried to pick each other up, he made me laugh and I started coughing and then he would cough. I also called Nancy, she is my new Alzheimer’s phone buddy that the local Alzheimer’s Assn connected me with… Janey from Plainfield, Illinois called, it is so good to hear from her and how well she is coming along. We almost lost Janey back in the fall… I was back to hosting chat today after taking some time off. I will also be hosting tonight… I did a load of laundry and picked up around the house… Dave has been busy building a workshop in the garage. I tease him about building a hide e hole to hide from me… We are expecting freezing rain/snow mix for tonight… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home