Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Today is the first day of summer and it has been a beautiful day… I received a package in the mail today from Jeanne, a friend in Hawaii. It was a Don Ho tee shirt. Thank you Jeanne, you know how much I enjoyed listening to “Tiny Bubbles”… I lost a diamond out of my new ring that Dave bought me in February. Thank goodness I bought a warranty for the ring… I chatted with my friends in the DASNI chat room… I went for the snap, crackle, pop, treatment today. I am doing so well that I am now down to once a week… Shiloh and I went to the garden and picked zucchini and squash for supper. Shiloh goes wherever I go… I helped Dave fix a delicious supper… My knees have been bothering me so I made an appointment with Dr. Davoli to have the injections put in my knees and I called Stanley Steemer and made an appointment to get our carpet cleaned… Dave is out flying his plane and I am eating popcorn and watching the Daytime Emmy Awards… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay & Jody said...

Hi, Mary!
I was just catching up with your blog. I'm amazed at how busy you keep yourself! I sure enjoy reading through your postings. All is well here in Washington, DC. Vaughn is enjoying the summer and I'm keeping busy with WEGO Health.
Hope all is well with you!
Hugs,
-Jody

June 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home