Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I got out this morning and went around checking the garden and flowers. The garden is still quite muddy from all the rain. The Hollyhocks, Clematis, Lilies, Butterfly Bush, Bougainvillea, and Roses are blooming. I have been picking grape tomatoes now for about a week… I folded yesterday’s laundry and did another load today… I helped fix supper and while we were eating we were watching the birds out the window. The Doves were under the bird feeders and many birds were eating from the feeders. We have seven birdhouses and they are all occupied… I called Lori to ask her if I could post this e-mail that she sent out to everyone. I wasn’t going to cry today but I did. Here is Lori’s e-mail: After much pain and sorrow, Erin went into the hospital on Saturday, June the 5th and delivered her stillborn child. On that day Kerry and Erin became two of the strongest people we know. We are all still in shock over the death of this perfect little child. Then there was one more shock to come. The little baby boy they had planned for and known for 9 months turned out to be a baby girl. We all have fallen in love with the idea of a little Kooper Allen. His room was complete with handpainted baby blue and chocolate stripes. Handpainted furniture that Kerry had done himself, to Erin's specifications of course. And a closet full of clothes; sized premie to 2T. She just told us what she wanted and we all tried to help her get it done. It was so important to her for everything to be perfectly baby blue and chocolate for him. We were and still are in a confused state.
On Sunday we had a Memorial service for him at our home. David prepared and gave the eulogy. I believe it was the most difficult thing he has ever done. I know I have never been more proud of him, than I was on that day. It was a beautiful service, for a beautiful baby we never got to hold. The baby boy they were planning on was being named after David. The baby girl that was delivered they named after Kerry and myself. Her name was Kerrie Ann. David planted a Redbud tree in our yard in the Spring, and he had named it the "Kooper Allen" tree. Once her tiny little body has been turned into ash, and then returned to her parents. They will bring her to our home and she will be buried under the "Kooper Allen" tree.

They will continue to need prayer and support for a long while. After two miscarriages and one stillbirth, this has been a trial only God understands. In Heaven Kerry and Erin have three "perfect children" there waiting to meet their Momma and Daddy and be held for the first time.

We want to thank you for thoughts and prayers you have given us all along this journey. Being able to put these words down have been helpful for our healing.

Lori and David
Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home