Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Another busy day for me… I finished up the laundry, answered e-mails and went to the DASNI chat. Then we went to Dr. Corman’s office to have the skin mass removed. When I asked Dr. Corman what he thought it was. He said right now he was calling it a weird skin mass. It indeed looked weird. The nurse numbed me up real good and the Doctor explained what he was going to do. He got it all cut out and sewed me up. I will go back next week to have the sutures removed. He sent it off so I should know what they find out Monday… I was late getting to my chiropractor appointment because the appointment with Dr. Corman took longer than we thought and he was running a little behind. But Dave walked across the street and told her I was running late and she was nice about it. My neck and shoulders are starting to feel better already… We went to Aldi’s and picked up a few groceries and then went by to see Alfred and Martha. Alfred got a bad report about the Chemo treatments that he was getting. Now they are going to try something else. This treatment will be done in the doctor’s office… I feel so bad for him and Martha, also for Dewey and Judy. Sometimes life just isn’t fair… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home