Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day... We were up early on Friday morning for Dave’s surgery. I didn’t sleep well at all, I just kept waking up…It was a very tiring long day. I don’t know what I would have done if Martha hadn’t been with me. She is such a good friend… The doctor told us he wasn’t able to see anything when he looked around in Dave’s kidney. He put a stint in and it is still in there. The biopsy has been sent off and we are back to waiting again. The doctor went ahead and scheduled surgery for this coming Friday. He said that he could always cancel it if the biopsy came back okay… David drove Dave home from the hospital and Martha and I went by the pharmacy to pick up medicines that they had called in for Dave. David stayed with us until he was sure his Dad was going to be okay. He even fixed some grilled cheese sandwiches for us. He made me sit down and told me he would take care of everything. He must have known how tired I was… Yesterday David and Lori took us out to eat at Nona’s Restaurant. It is one of the nicest places in Oklahoma City. It was a late Mother’s Day dinner for me and early Father’s Day dinner for Dave. We really enjoy eating at such a nice restaurant where they treat you like royalty. They also gave each of us a very nice Hallmark card. Thank you David and Lori… I fixed Dave a good old country breakfast… Kenny and Kathy gave Dave an umbrella to fit on his tractor to keep him shaded when he cuts the lawn, peanut butter fudge, and beef jerky. Kenny cut the grass for Dave today… Kathy had us up for a steak supper tonight… Thanks Kenny and Kathy… Helen, one of my school friends in Georgia called to check on us today. She had read about Dave in my journal… I am still having computer problems. I keep getting knocked off line… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home