Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Thanks to Joann in Welcome, North Carolina for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book…
I would like to thank all of you who have sent us emails. They mean a lot to Dave and me…I have missed a few days of doing a journal… I will try and catch up now… On Saturday Dave and I went to Best Buy and then to the beauty shop where I got a much needed grooming. We then went to David and Lori’s, had a really good visit with them and a nice dinner. After it cooled down some David showed me his garden. It is all in raised beds and it really looks good. Then we all got in our car and drove up to the pasture to look at their cows. David wanted me to see my namesake Mary Edith. She is a pretty calf. All of their cattle look good. David has turned out to be quite a farmer. They also have pigmy goats and Rhea’s on their farm… We are very proud of both our son’s and their wives… Dave and I were out on the back porch last night watching the full moon rise and it was so pretty… We are counting the days until Friday… Norita called and she and Wesley just returned from a Safari trip and it sounded like they had such a great time. It was fun listening to the good times they had on the safari… We woke up to a nice rain this morning. I got out and walked in it… I have been having so much trouble with my online service. I called and canceled AOL and if I had a number for Juno I would cancel them too. I have no patience for this… Kenny and Kathy came down and sat out on the back porch with us. Kathy made us some beef jerky and brought it down. It was almost too chilly to be outside tonight, but I am not complaining… I demonstrated to Kenny and Kathy how I could drive my scooter… Dave talked to his brother George who has cancer and found out the chemo isn’t working and that hospice will be starting tomorrow… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home