Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Dave and I just returned from a wonderful vacation in Hawaii. We went there to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. David and Lori went with us. Our grandson Josh house and dog sat while we were gone. Jeanne, a friend who lives there met us at the airport with beautiful leis for all of us and was our tour guide. Also, Amanda our great niece came to the airport with her baby Rowan who is a little doll… We rented a cottage and a car and David was our chauffeur. We put nearly 900 miles on the car. Now I will try to remember everything we did. We went to Pearl Harbor Memorial where Alfred Rodriguez "Kalina", a friend who is a Pearl Harbor survivor gave us a private tour. We went to see the large sea turtles, toured the Pineapple Plantation, went to a Luau, went on a dinner cruise that David and Lori gave us for our Anniversary, went on a catamaran, and we took a plane over to the Big Island where we took an open door helicopter tour. We were there for ten days and the only day I didn’t go anywhere was the day that David and Lori went Scuba Diving… It was wonderful waking up each morning looking out at the palm trees with coconuts hanging on them. I wish I had that view here. We had a rooster crowing each morning making sure we didn’t miss the beautiful sunrises. We could sit on the front porch with a view of the ocean that was just across the street… On the way over I rode first class and I loved that, but coming back it was an all night ride and I was in coach and I didn’t care much for that… David and Lori took great care of us and really spoiled me… We got home on Thursday and on Friday night we went to Lexington to see Jake, our great grandson’s football game. It was good seeing Jake, Trevor, Madison, Macey, Chris, Jenni, and Erin and getting hugs from all of them. It was the first football game I had been to since 1957. David and Lori treated for a dinner at Kendall’s in Noble… Saturday Dave was busy doing the yard work while I did laundry, and that evening Kenny and Kathy had us out for a delicious steak supper… Sunday we took the gifts to the neighbor’s kids and later the ice cream truck came and took us to Braums. Thanks Kenny and Kathy for taking us to get a pineapple. We sure miss having Hawaiian pineapples… If I can remember how I will post some pictures later… Oh I almost forgot Dave danced with me to the Hawaiian Wedding Song on our Anniversary. It was the first time he has ever danced with me… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Blogger lori said...

Wow Mom, you said it all in a nutshell. You did leave out a couple of delirious moments...thanks! We had the time of our lives!! We will always have Paradise!

September 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home