Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Monday, November 09, 2009

What a day this has been.,, The realtor called this morning to say they were showing the house again. We rushed around and got the house ready to show. Then we took the dogs to Kenny and Kathy’s house. It was a very pretty day so they were able to stay outside in their fenced in yard. From there we went for Dave’s follow-up appointment with Dr. Davoli. When they took his temperature it was a 102. Dave was really hurting in his shoulder, knees, and foot. The doctor gave him an injection in his knee and shoulder and gave him a mask to wear. He advised us to see our family Doctor. So we went to see Dr. Corman. The PA saw him, Dave’s temperature there was a 103 and his oxygen level was very low. They gave him an antibiotic shot and advised him to go to the ER. Before we left I got my flu shot…. We spent four hours in the ER. Kenny and Kathy came. The doctor said his xrays were fine and that the lab work showed some kind of infection. The doctor seemed to think he had the flu. He gave him a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us home. We stopped by Kenny’s and picked up our dogs and came home… I need to go now and take care of my husband. I sure hope I don’t catch what he has… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home