Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, November 06, 2009

This morning we were up early. I stripped the bed and washed the sheets… Beverly and her daughter Betty arrived this morning around 11:00. I hadn’t seen Beverly in a long time. Beverly thought we were teenagers the last time we saw each other. So it was a very long time ago. Beverly hadn’t changed that much. She looked the same as I remembered her. We had a very nice visit and went out to lunch. I wanted so bad to show them my chat room. But when I went in there no one was there. Later I realized I was an hour too early for our chat… Betty and Beverly left early afternoon to go back to Tulsa… Soon after they left I got a call from our realtor saying that someone was showing our house at 4:30. We loaded up the dogs and went out to Cashion again. They have the lumber out there to frame Kenny and Kathy’s home. It was so windy today I can’t imagine anyone trying to frame a house… When we got back home we found out we were locked out of our house. The realtor had locked our utility room and we couldn’t get in. Our only door key was in the lockbox. So we called our realtor and she phoned the realtor that showed the house and had him come back to let us in. Tomorrow we are going to have another key made… I have had a full day and I enjoyed it but I have a feeling I got over stimulated. I hope I am able to sleep tonight… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home