Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, March 13, 2009

It is still cold here. I think the high today was in the 40’s. Our flannel sheets sure feel good… I pushed myself today to do the laundry and I finally got to see the bottom of the hamper. The more work I do the more I wheeze and cough… I hosted the afternoon DASNI chat and helped fix supper… Dave fixed me an ice cream cone. I love ice cream cones… I am thinking about moving to the motor home to see if my asthma gets better… Here is a link It is Kenny landing his plane between our two homes. You can see how close we live to Kenny and Kathy… Last night I asked David to send me an email telling me what went on yesterday when he met with the General because I was having a foggy day and having a hard time following what he was telling me so I am going to post his Email here:
Finally got on the computer and here is my story of what happened yesterday. We had the Commander of the Air Force Material Command Four Star General Hoffman come to Tinker for a few days to look over the base. While he was visiting our section and after he got the low down of how we were performing as a group i.e. how we were improving on all our processes to put out better quality and returning aircraft to their own bases sooner. The three of us that were the main part of our rescue were introduced to the General and he was told what each of us had done. He was impressed on how well we were dressed and more impressed that we did what we did. He did speak to us a little bit and was very genuine in his conversation with us, he had steely eyes and seemed very sharp as you would expect someone of that rank. He was also escorted so to speak with Two Star General Gillette and One Star General Litchfield, the latter came over and spoke with us again and told us how sharp we looked, I really like him. The base photographer came with them and she is the same one that took our pictures for the Take Off, she came over and spoke with us also and it looks like we might be in the Take Off again.
It was a long day, we went in at 8 am and didn't meet with the General until 2:15 and I guess we have more stuff going on in the future not sure what all else. Oh and after our conversation with General Hoffman he gave the three of us his special Four Star Generals coin, so he had been briefed on what we did and had the coins ready for us, it was tooo coool
Goodnight All... Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home