Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Today is the day I dreaded yesterday. I had to get up early for a follow up appointment with Dr. Baugh, the doctor who treats my asthma and everything was fine. I noticed when I picked up a magazine to read and was reaching down to put on my reading glasses that I had two pair hanging around my neck. Dave needs to start watching me closer.

We went to the pharmacy at Tinker Air Force Base to get our drugs and after that we had lunch at Charley’s. Then we went to the commissary for groceries. I was really tickled when I found out the coupons I went through yesterday saved us about $50.00… When we got home I helped put groceries away and did a load of laundry. Dave had started a crock-pot meal early this morning so our supper was already for us when we got home… After supper we went over next door and I fed Marley… Kenny came down and brought me a new arm rest for our tow car… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home