Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

We got woke up early this morning with a thunderstorm. We lost power for a while but not for long. Shiloh gets so scared when we have a thunderstorm; she will hide under the bed and doesn’t want to come out until it is over with… I had an appointment with Dr. Barreto today. It was to find out about the MRI and PET scan that I had recently. I found out that I have a mixed dementia which is Alzheimer’s/Vascular Dementia. She wants me to stay on the Aricept and Namenda. She also told me that my good cholesterol is just about the best she has seen and for me to keep on doing what I am doing. She said I was a intelligent lady. No one has ever said that to me before. I think I really like this doctor. When I asked her if I could still drive she said that she would never take my car keys away… We left there and went to the mall for some retail therapy. Then we went by and picked up our tow car. I followed Dave and drove our other car home from the dealership… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma
marylockhart@atlinkwifi.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home