Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Last night's journal

This has been quite a day. Our power went off this afternoon, and then the weather radio went off flashing that there was a tornado warning. Dave said come on lets go to the storm shelter. So we grabbed the three dogs and my purse and went. We have a storm Radio/TV in the storm room that David and Lori had given us for Christmas a few years ago. We sure did appreciate having that. A tornado touched down not too far away from us. A lot of damage done, five people were injured, two of them were critical. Our power came back on just before dark… When the power went off I had the washer and dryer going. They are going again and I hope to finish the laundry before bedtime… Thanks for all the phone calls from family and friends checking up on us. Our DASNI friends Jan and Wade were one of the callers… I wasn’t able to get online to host chat this evening or to post a journal so I will post this one tomorrow… I posted a picture below of my tulips and pansies. If you double click on the picture it will make it larger… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma marylockhart@atlinkwifi.com

PS. I am not doing a journal today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home