Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

I slept till near 11:00 again and I will want to go back to bed at 9:00 tonight… I have dusted the living room and dining room, cleaned the crystal, cleaned the aquarium, fixed supper, and took care of the houseplants. It is a good thing my houseplants are so forgiving because I sure do neglect them sometimes… I was looking at the tulips outside today and noticed a bud. This is my first year to have tulips since we moved here. I had them at our other house… When they bloom I will try and take a picture and put it up here… Dave has spent most of the day in his hidey-hole. He thinks he is hiding from me but I know where to find him… I went to take my afternoon pills this afternoon. I got to my pill container and had to stop and try to figure out what day it was. I thought it was Friday. Then I almost ended up taking my bedtime medicines. Sure glad I caught that mistake… Kenny called and Kathy had called him from Ireland and their plane had been delayed over there for a few hours so now they won’t be arriving here until later tonight or in the morning… Kenny came down a little while ago with a nice redbud tree for me. Thank you Kenny. Dave is burying it now. Thank you Dave… Kenny just called again and Kathy is in Chicago and could be there for a couple days. He said the phone was breaking up badly when she called. As long as they get home safely, that is the main thing… It is raining and I got to go out and walk in it… Good Night All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma
marylockhart@atlinkwifi.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home