Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Happy Birthday Perry!!! Perry is Lori’s grandfather and our friend in Okemah, Oklahoma… The repairman came this afternoon for our refrigerator and said the compressor was bad. So now we wait until he can locate a compressor. It could take a week if they don’t have one in stock. We are sure happy it is still less than a year old and still under warranty. Also it could have quit while we were on vacation. That would have been bad… I finished doing laundry that was still in the washer from yesterday and got it all dried and put away. I hosted chat and we have spent most of the day planning our vacation. We are getting excited. This time we are heading to Vermont and visiting other states as we go. Alfred and Martha left today for vacation and we will meet up with them in Vermont… I watched Josh and Heather get off the bus and waved at them… Dave and I walked up to the garden and picked okra. I fixed a mess of okra for supper and the rest I put in the freezer… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home