Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Thanks to Sylvia in Winfield, Alabama for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book… I made it to the doctor’s office in plenty of time. In fact I waited a good hour to see the doctor. This appointment was with the orthopedic doctor. He was very nice and showed me the pictures of my tumor and gave me some pain medication to take when the pain gets unbearable. Also gave me a new prescription for a new surgical boot. I have to wear a boot because the tumor is on top of my foot and around my toes and it hurts too bad to wear a regular shoe.. He said if I had severe pain or swelling in the foot to call him and he would do another MRI and then would refer me to Dr. Smith for surgery of my foot. I want to die with both my feet. He said the fluid in my ankle could mean heart problems and that I should see my heart doctor… On our way home we stopped at a neighborhood garage sale. We didn’t see anything we couldn’t live without. Then we went by the Vet’s office and made an appointment for Karmelitia’s teeth cleaning. The vet told us when the dogs went in for their shots that Karmelitia’s teeth were needing cleaning . I am hoping it helps with her bad breath and makes her live longer… I had a call from Aunt Flo and she is feeling much better now. That sure makes me feel better to hear she is doing better. She is my only living aunt. All my uncles are gone too. I am now the third oldest Singer living… I paid bills and tried to balance the checkbook, did laundry, fixed lunch, hosted chat, and fixed supper… Alfred and Martha came out for a short visit tonight… George called… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Blogger ross320alison said...

damn good blog, check out mine, comments always welcome!

August 20, 2005 at 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home