Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Monday, May 16, 2005

It is hard to believe this month is already half gone. Soon we will have lived in our new home for a year. It just doesn’t seem possible that a year has gone by already… I have folded Saturday’s laundry and dusted. Dave did the vacuuming for me… I sent in my Schwan order and I should have never did that when I was hungry but I did. I went over $150.00 this time… Dave went to pick up the motor home this afternoon, it was in the shop for a recall on the brakes. While he was gone I made some more peanut butter cookies. Dave ate most of the ones I made yesterday so thought I would get my share while he was away. Well I did and you might say I got more than my share, now I am feeling guilty. I have these sweet cravings all the time and it is just like I have got to have something sweet and I want it now… While Dave was gone I decided to walk up and check on the garden. I had seen Kathy up there this morning pulling weeds. While I was up there I bent over to pull some weeds and when I did my legs gave out from under me. That was so scary, there I was all alone lying on the ground and wondering how in the world I would get up without calling in a crane. Well I crawled over to a post that Dave had put in yesterday for the beans to climb up on and was able to pull myself up. I best not go the garden alone again. I did have the dogs with me but little could they do… I have done a lot of talking to myself today. I need to do that so I will remember what I need to do next. Like while I am dusting I tell myself you need to call in your Schwan order and so on… I watched the final episode of “Everybody Loves Raymond” tonight. I was sad to see it end as it was one show that made me laugh out loud… Goodnight All... Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home