Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

This morning I got several more hours of ME time, as Dave had to go in for a physical. I laid in bed for most of it just watching TV then I got up and folded yesterday’s laundry and got it all put away then I washed another load and got them all put away. Then I made some potato soup for lunch… I made my daily check on the flowers outside and walked up to the garden. The peas are finally blooming so it shouldn’t be long till I will be picking peas. I saw a beet that was pretty large so I picked it and brought it home and cooked it. I love beets. I just boil them, put butter and salt on them. Just like my Mother used to fix them for me when she knew I was coming home for a visit… I waved at Josh and Heather when they got off of the bus and watched the birds at the feeder. The Red headed Woodpecker was back. The Hummingbirds have already used up all the nectar so I made some more tonight… I hosted two chats. We were discussing in the afternoon chat about what a relief it is to be given a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s. Because before we were diagnosed we thought we were going crazy… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home