Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Last night David and Lori took me to eat at the Lido Restaurant in Oklahoma City. They serve Chinese, Vietnamese, and French food. I was going to order from the French menu but once I was there I changed my mind and ordered from the Vietnamese menu. Since Lori had tried it before and recommended it. I really like trying different food and this was very good. Now I can’t remember what I ordered, I should have taken notes. Dave didn’t want to go with us. It sort of hurt my feelings but I guess he needed some ME time… For my birthday David and Lori gave me a glass blue bird and a Amaryllis’s flower. Lori knows how I love to have something blooming in the wintertime… Kenny and Kathy got me a stainless steel canister set and Kathy had filled all the canisters with Chocolates. She knows how I like chocolates. Kathy also embroidered me some towels and a sack holder with roosters on them to go with my rooster kitchen… Martha my friend got me some rooster place mats and napkins… Dave got me a Rooster lamp. He had bought me one once before but I thought it was too expensive and took it back but I really loved that lamp and missed it. So Dave surprised me and got me another one. I will not take this one back… I did laundry, hosted chat, answered emails; fixed goulash for supper, and called Alice in Idaho, Janey in Illinois and Sis in Texas… Dave put up all my birdhouses in the back yard. Now I will be already to watch the birds when spring comes. I don’t see many birds at my feeder but when I do it is special… I did some online shopping today with Tracy in Missouri. That was fun only I spent more money than she did and she tired out before I did and left to take a nap… The temperature was in the sixties today but tomorrow is supposed to be much colder… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home