Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

I woke up to rain this morning but later in the day the sun did come out… I turned down an invitation to Kelly, a neighbor’s jewelry party. I didn’t feel like having to make a decision on what jewelry I should buy. And I just wanted to stay home… This afternoon while hosting the DASN chat one of my cousin’s showed up in chat. What a nice surprise that was… I fixed a delicious supper and I did it all by myself. And that wasn’t easy for me. I can’t tell you how many times I had to check the degrees the oven was to be on and how many minutes to cook. I had the oven and the microwave both going at the same time. When I went to call Dave in from the garage I found him gone. He was in the back of the house flying his radio-controlled airplane. I ate by myself and when he came in he got a warmed up supper… I called Norita and Janey. Janey sounded so much stronger than she did before. She is home now and has twenty four hour care… I watched a beautiful sunset tonight… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home