Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

I am back and I didn’t intend to be away for so long… I have had so many people asking when I was going to do my journal again that I thought I had better do one… Dave and I had a visitor last month; Tony who is an Internet friend and comes to our chat room came over from Ireland and met with us. We really enjoyed our short visit with him… Today we had another visitor, Gayle who was a neighbor years ago and now lives in Washington state came to visit and it was sure good seeing her again… Dave and I just returned from a vacation… We went to Louisville, Kentucky and visited with my brother George and his friend Mary. Then we went to Huntington, West Virginia to visit with Dave’s brother Bob and his wife Margot and Dave’s sister Lucy. Judy, his sister drove up from North Carolina when she heard we were going to be in Huntington. We saw several nieces and a nephew while we were in West Virginia and we attended Dave’s 50th class reunion… Our next stop was in Westerville, Ohio where we visited Dave’s brother Howard and nephew, Bill… While we were in Westerville a couple of online friends from the DASNI chat room Duchess and husband Vince and Sandy and her husband Joe met us at a hotel and we had a nice dinner together. Online friends are the greatest… On our way home we stopped in Missouri and Carole, another DASNI friend met us at a Burger King. Dave really wanted a whopper. Carole and I had a nice but short visit… We got home on Thursday evening. It is good to be home… Kenny looked after our home and watched three of our dogs for us. We took Shiloh with us. Thank You Kenny… I don’t know if I will do a journal everyday but I will try… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I had so hoped to be one of your stops. I am glad you got to go, when you rang with the RV woes, I thought the trip was off.

July 20, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home