Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Kenny and Dave made it home with the plane. They brought it home in a U-Haul truck. Kenny had it out back taxing it today. I think he really likes it… Dave has promised me he won’t fly in it… We went to Midwest City tonight and adopted a Maltese puppy. She is real sweet and I named her Mindy. We stopped at Kenny’s on the way home and borrowed a dog crate for her to sleep in. Kenny, Kathy, and Heather fell in love with her… The other dogs are getting used to having Mindy around. Kathy is making her a coat to wear… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

2 Comments:

Blogger LuLu and LoLLy! said...

Dear Mary and Mindy, we are 2 Maltese dogs and we wanted to stop in and say Two Paws Up! for 2 things: your progress in dealing with the Alzheimer's, and your adoption of Mindy the Maltese. LoLLy is a rescue, and being adopted into a good pack with awesome humans and other dogs is something that Mindy will be grateful for every day, whether she came from an already good home or not. It's always better to be in a good pack! :) Thanks for letting us stop by, Love, your PaLs, LuLu and LoLLy! (From right next door in Austin, Texas!) http://www.luluandlolly.com

January 4, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Mary Lockhart said...

Thanks LuLu and LoLLY for leaving Mindy and me a message.
Mindy wants to know how to stop peeing when she gets excited.
Mindy also likes to bark but she is with a Papillion that likes to bark.

January 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home