Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Happy Belated Birthdays to Karen, our niece in West Virginia, Allison our granddaughter in Kentucky, and Happy Belated Anniversary to Kerry and Erin our grandchildren in Oklahoma… Dave and I celebrated our 48th anniversary on the 8th… Happy Birthday Barbara Ruth!!! Barbara is our friend in Noble, Oklahoma… I am back! Dave and I loaded up our motor home and our three dogs and went camping and fishing. We went about one hundred miles from our home. The fishing was great. I went fishing everyday that we were there. I was fishing in the sunshine, in the rain, and even in the dark. Most of the time that I was fishing, Shiloh our dog was sitting in my lap. Once when I was reeling in I caught her tail in the crank. I had to call Dave to help get her tail out… We had one mess of fish and hush puppies at the campsite. The rest I put in the freezer for later. I think our three dogs enjoyed camping as much as we did. Since we got home I have been busy unloading the motor home, cleaned it, doing laundry, going through the mail, and hundreds of emails. It is a lot of work but well worth it… Kenny mowed the grass and our acreage looks great. Thank you Kenny… I have been watching the news on the damage Ike has caused, so terrible. I checked on our friend Morris who lives in Houston and he was fine… Check out the photos of our trip below... Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Mary, the trip sounds heavenly! Even though I'm writing from our little slice of heaven on earth (Pensacola Beach, FL) We have yet to camp this year. Ginger has mentioned it, but I haven't taken the lead. Maybe in mid October before it gets too cold we'll head out. Wonder if the fish will still be biting?

September 15, 2008 at 5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home