Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Friday, April 18, 2008

I have had a busy day. Kathy drove me to the doctor’s office early this morning so I could get the Reclast IV injection, it is a once a year IV for the bones. The nurse stuck me twice and was ready to try and stick me again when I told her that my daughter-in-law was a nurse and worked at the heart hospital and she was in the waiting room could she try. So they got Kathy and Kathy got it in the first try. I have really bad veins. We were there for about an hour then we left there and went to Red Lobster for a wonderful lunch. Kathy and I both love Red Lobster and it had been years since we had gone there. From there we made a trip to Norman to see Erin who is at home on strict bedrest for two weeks and is really bored. We had a nice visit with her. Erin looked great and I finally was able to see the baby’s nursery. It is so neat and everything matches… When we got home I was so tired. I started a load of laundry and laid down for awhile to rest. I even dozed off for a few minutes… After supper I finished up the laundry and rode the bike… Our brother-in-law in North Carolina has cancer and is having a really hard time right now. Please pray for Dewey and his family… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home