Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

We got up early this morning and right after breakfast we left to go to Okemah to Lori’s Grandparents house to pick pecans. When we got there Lori’s grandmother had prepared a delicious meal for us. Right after we ate and cleaned up the kitchen we all loaded up our buckets in the truck and we went out in the pasture field to pick pecans. Dave and I either one had picked pecans before. We just eat them. David, Lori, Lori’s Mother Barbara, her Grandmother Mayselle, Dave, and me picked up pecans for about four hours. David climbed the tree to shake the branches and the pecans fell like crazy. We all went home with plenty of pecans… It was over a two hundred mile round trip… We are going to watch the OU/Texas Tech football game now. Go OU!!! ... Dave has the nut cracker out and is cracking pecans… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home