Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thanks to Judy in Indianapolis, Indiana for visiting Mary’s Place and signing my guest book at … We returned home last Sunday but it has taken me this long to get rested and caught up at home. Yesterday we made a trip to Tinker to get our medicines and groceries… I will tell you about our trip. We arrived in Peru, Indiana on September 13th.. We left the RV park as soon as we got all set up and went to visit my Mother and Daddy’s gravesites. Also visited my sister Lula, brother Billy, and brother Everett’s gravesites. Then we went into town to have a Breaded Tenderloin sandwich. That is what I grew up having and couldn’t go to Peru without having one. We went to the local meat market and picked up some frozen ones to bring home… On September 14th We were invited to Bert and Evelyn’s for a Fish Fry and was it ever good. Bert and Evelyn are really good friends that we have known for years. They were so good to look after the boys and I when Dave spent a year in Thailand. We left their home and went to the 50th class reunion. It was mostly a get acquainted session. I was really nervous about going. But once I got there I was okay and had a good time. September 15th we went downtown Peru and met one of my classmates, Lynn and her daughters, from South Dakota. Dave pushed me in my wheelchair up and down Broadway and Lynn walked along beside us. We reminisced about what Broadway used to be like and it was so much fun. Then went to the museum where they had a lot of stuff on Cole Porter. From there went to tour Cole Porter’s home. That was really neat. They have done so much to that home. It had really gotten rundown. Then we went to the Reunion Banquet. I wasn’t nervous this time. They had nametags for us with our maiden names and a picture of us as seniors. That helped a lot to recognize people. We shared a great meal that was catered by one of our classmates Ronnie Short who has a nice restaurant there called The Siding. It seemed to be all over so fast… September 16th we went to John and Carolyn’s home. Carolyn is an old friend that worked with me at Dukes Hospital for several years. Carolyn had prepared a delicious meal for us and we visited and laughed about old times. We left there and went to an Apple Orchard to pick up a half bushel of apples and some apple cider. That evening we went to see Connie, caught her just before church started but it was good to see her. I couldn’t imagine leaving Peru and not seeing her. Connie and I used to run around together and she was a neighbor when I was in grade school. We left Connie and went to visit another classmate, Barbara and Daniel. We had a nice visit with them and then we went back to the RV Park. September 17th we left Peru and went to near Columbus to visit Howard, and Bill, Dave’s brother and nephew. While we were there Howard’s daughter and grandchildren came to visit. It was nice seeing them. September 18th we went to visit a DASNI friend and her husband. I had never met Duchess and Vince before but it was like we had known each other for years. We chat often at the DASNI chat room. They took us out for a nice dinner and Duchess presented me with a gift of Buckeyes. We sure enjoyed eating them on the trip… I am going to quit now and continue this tomorrow… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma
Email me at


Post a Comment

<< Home