Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Last night was one of our worse nights ever. I go to bed around 9:30 and I toss and turn till almost midnight trying to wind down and fall asleep. That is how it is every night for me. I had barely gotten asleep when the weather alarm went off saying thunderstorm warning. Then about an hour later there was another alarm going off, this one was a flood warning. Then I finally get back to sleep and at 2:30 there was another warning for a tornado. So we got the three dogs, medicines, cell phone, and my purse and go to the safe room. We were in there about an hour until it was safe to come out. Went back to sleep and the alarms kept going off but by this time I didn’t care what it was saying I wasn’t going to get out of bed again… We got plenty of wind and rain but no damage… Dave and I watched a movie “Freedom Writers” and we both enjoyed it… I cleaned the bathroom, fixed lunch and supper, cleaned the aquarium, and did a load of laundry… Josh came down tonight and I got him to edit my journal… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home