Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Vern!!! Vern is our friend in Hawaii…
I didn’t sleep well last night the weather alarm went off and that startled the dogs to getting nervous and barking. Early this morning it was raining so hard and we expect to have storms again tonight. I am getting so tired of this… This morning Dave called and to tell me his eye was doing okay but that his blood pressure was 86/56, I started to panic. Dave then said: “If I knew you were going to worry I wouldn’t have told you.” Well of course I would worry. Especially when Dave is one with high blood pressure often… Josh and I went to Wal-Mart and he applied for a job and then we picked up a few groceries. Then we went to the bank and he opened up a checking and savings account. Something Grandma has wanted him to do for a long time... Then we went to visit Dave we didn’t have any trouble this time finding the hospital. When we got there Kenny was there visiting him… He said his blood pressure was now a 100 over something and they were checking it regularly. I will be so happy to have him back home and so will the dogs. Tomorrow he will go back to surgery and they will remove the radiation patch. Kathy will be going in the morning to be with him. She is our daughter-in-law who is a nurse and she will drive him home… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home