Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I received a message yesterday from someone that is helping to promote a new study by ACT-AD, a coalition of organizations seeking to accelerate development of potential cures and treatments to slow, halt or reverse the progression of Alzheimer’s disease through research. It sounds interesting since the study claims that the US can save trillions of dollars if new Alzheimer’s drugs were approved. There is a press briefing next Monday in Washington D.C. where they will release the study to the public. You can find more information on the ACT-AD website at

We were in bed last night and Dave was asleep. It was around midnight when our weather radio went off saying Tornado Warning! We grabbed the dogs and went straight to the safe room. Dave had all three of the deadbolt locks and the knob locked. I turned on our little TV so we could keep an eye on the weather. We were in there only a few minutes when we remembered we didn’t grab our medications. So Dave started unlocking the locks and when he went to unlock the knob it was broken. At this time I started having a panic attack. I don’t like being closed up in small places to begin with but in one that is locked and you can’t get out put me in a bad state. Besides, we didn’t have a phone to let anyone know we were locked in. We didn’t have any food in there either but plenty of water. Dave found a wooden dowel in one of the shelves he had built and put in the storm room. He worked and worked till he finally got the door unlocked. Thank God and thank you Dave for being such a great handyman… Dave got our medications, phone, and my purse and he had just got back in when our neighbors Sean and Billie called and asked if they could come over. Of course Dave said yes, and they were here in no time with their three little ones. I held the new baby and that helped calm me down. A tornado did touchdown in Piedmont but it missed us. It wiped out the neighbors stockade fence behind us. They are talking about more storms tonight. At least Dave took the knob apart today and got it to working. He also added a screwdriver to keep in there in case such a thing ever happens again…. My California sister called… Goodnight All.. Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home