Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

We are home!!! Dave and I got home on Tuesday just in time to vote and celebrate Heather’s 15th birthday. We all went to Smokey Bones. That was Heather’s choice… This has got to be my best vacation ever. We went to Louisville, Kentucky to see my brother George and Carol. While we were there George fixed four pounds of Great Northern Beans and cornbread and invited all my Singer cousins over. We had a great time. Then we went to Smithville, Tennessee where we had several days visiting Dave’s brother Richard. He took us all around Smithville to see the beautiful foliage. Central Tennessee is beautiful. While we were there Dave was standing on a big rock taking pictures and the rock gave way and Dave took a big tumble. It nearly scared me to death. He went to see the doctor because he thought he had broken his wrist. Doctor said it was a bad sprain. Dave had skinned up hands and knees. We are so happy that it wasn’t worse than it was… Next stop was Marietta, Georgia where we visited my friend of 55 years and her husband Dean. Helen and I went to school together. Dave and I used to double date with Dean and Helen. Helen and I giggled just like we did when we were teenagers. I don’t think I have laughed so hard in a long time… Our next stop was Tybee Island. We stayed seven days at an RV park just three blocks from the ocean and we made plenty of trips to the beach. We met up with our ADF friends in Savannah. They came in from all over the USA. This is the same group of friends we met up in Vancouver. This time there were thirteen of us… We traveled through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Every state had some beautiful foliage. This time we really picked the right time to travel. We are usually too early to enjoy the beautiful foliage… I have been doing laundry since we got home and I finally finished up this afternoon… It is good to be home even though I didn’t want to leave Savannah… Our three dogs were great travelers but they are happy to be home… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home