Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Monday, July 24, 2006

This morning Dave woke me up extra early. We both had doctor appointments at 8:30… The doctor did lab work and started me on Namenda… After the doctor’s appointment I started looking for a beauty shop. I was in bad need of a haircut. Since Dave had no plans to go to Tinker, that is where I usually get my haircuts. This guy asked me how I wanted it cut? He says short and I said no I just want it shaped. That is what I always tell the person who cuts my hair. Well this guy cut me so short that when I got out in the car I started crying. I was really upset. Dave wanted to go back in there and talk to the manager. I said no it wouldn’t do any good now. All my hair was gone and he couldn’t put it back on. It will grow but not soon enough for me… We left there and went for breakfast since we both had been fasting. Then we went to Lowe’s and picked up some air filters then to Kohls’s. I didn’t find anything so we came on home… I called Martha… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home