Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Alfred and Martha called and came out this afternoon. They brought their four Schnauzer puppies. I think they are about six weeks old now and are so cute… My Passion Vine is finally starting to bloom and the flowers are so pretty they don’t even look like they could be real. Lynne and Larry, I always think of you two when I look at them. I remember Dave and I flying down to Iowa Park and you giving me a start… Dave and I enjoyed our first watermelon of this year and it was so good and it was even seedless which made it even better… I cleaned the bathrooms, hosted chat, did a load of laundry, and planted some hollyhock seeds that Lori brought me back from Richard’s house… I guess we aren’t going to be out on the back porch again without Shiloh being on a leash. She saw Kenny working on his lawn and she took off barking at him. I think the suncap that Kenny was wearing scared her and she took off running as fast as she could up the road. She ran about a half mile. Kenny and Dave jumped in Kenny’s Mustang and went after her and caught her. Some guy in a car stopped and was trying to pick her up but she ran from him. Anyhow I sure am thankful that she didn’t get hit by a car and she is safely home with us again… Tonight we have been invited up to Kenny and Kathy’s to watch the fights on TV… Goodnight All.,. Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home