Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

When I woke up this morning at 11:00 Dave told me that he had taken Tootsie to the Vet because she had gotten worse. She was having seizures. The Vet did a blood test and her sugar count was 22, which was way too low. She gave her some fluids and some medicines. Tootsie had more seizures while she was there. The vet said that her heart rate was low and that usually when they have seizures their heart rate speeds up. She wanted Dave to leave her there for a while so she could keep an eye on her… Dave went back this afternoon and picked her up. We are giving Tootsie medicine at home and she has an appointment to go back in the morning... We left this evening and went by the flower shop and picked up some flowers for Martha. Then on to their home so the guys could go to their weekly bible study… Kenny and David called… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home