Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Happy Belated Birthday to Lela in Florida, Linda in Ohio, Joe in California, Claude in Canada, Virginia in Oklahoma, Teresa in Missouri, Maxine in Florida… Happy Belated Anniversary to Janey and Norb in Illinois and Alfred and Martha in Oklahoma…
Dave and I returned from our wonderful vacation yesterday afternoon. We were very tired but so happy to be back home and so were the dogs. No more leashes for them… We had a wonderful visit with Tom and Karen in Ft. Worth and a nice steak dinner at their beautiful home. On Friday Tom and Karen took us to Brain Health Café in Dallas where we met up with Ben, Bethel, Dickie and Garnette… After the meeting we all went to lunch at a nice Barbeque place and then over to see where Ben and Bethel live. I finally got to see Ben’s nice landscaping work… We left Ft. Worth on Saturday and went to Austin to see Brenda and Stacy. Brenda is a cousin and I hadn’t seen her since she was a teenager back in the sixties… I went to Mass with Brenda and Stacy while Dave rested and then after Mass we had a nice Spaghetti supper at the church… We left Stacy and Brenda’s beautiful home on Sunday and went to San Antonio to the Travelers World RV Park. We spent a week there and every afternoon we went downtown to spend time and have dinner with our ADF friends. There was Janey from Illinois, Becky and Sally from California, Marie from Florida, Glenna from Canada, Aunt Flo, Bob and Betty Sue, Sis, June, Pat, and Robert and Mary Ann from Texas… It was so nice to see everyone, especially Aunt Flo… I am always sad to leave San Antonio. It is such a fun place to visit… We left San Antonio on Sunday and spent the night in Iowa Park visiting and having dinner with Lynne and Larry… We thought we were going to have to get a loan before we made it home. We paid as high as $3.29 a gallon for diesel… I have been doing laundry since we got home. I only have one more load to do and I will have caught up… Dave has been busy unloading the motor home and winterizing it… Kenny came down to visit us last night... Aunt Flo called this morning saying that she is missing us. We miss her and all of our other friends… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home