Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Name:
Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Finally, I got my computer fixed. So much has happened since I quit writing in my journal I hope I can remember some of them… Dave and I celebrated our 45th anniversary on September 8 by going out to a nice dinner. Then the next day we left in our motor home for fishing and camping trip. We had the whole campground to ourselves and the fishing was great. We averaged catching 20 fish a day. We caught Bluegill, Bass, and Perch. We had one fish fry while we were there. I made some of the best hush puppies that I had ever made or maybe it was just cooking them out in the open that made them taste so good. The rest of the fish we brought home in our freezer… It rained one day so we took off to go visit Jan/Mina. She is doing great and the day we were there she was running the campground by herself. Wade had gone for the week to visit his Mother in North Carolina. Jan was busy, as always she is not only running a campground but was making a beautiful quilt and also making Wade an afghan. I left there feeling very inferior… Since we were near Lori’s grandparents home we went to visit them one evening. We really enjoyed our visit with them… This was a fun vacation for me and so good to get away from my broken computer. One evening Ann, the owner of the campground, came down with a freshly baked apple cake for us… We finally got our new refrigerator back on Saturday and this one is much nicer than our other one… I received my signed copy of Winnie Yu’s new book “What To Do When The Doctor Says It’s Early-Stage Alzheimer’s.” You can order the book by going here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592331610/qid=1125715251/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1425722-8887953?v=glance&s=books This afternoon Dave and I are going to the Oklahoma State Fair. That should be a lot of fun… We hear from Alfred and Martha often. They are in Vermont now waiting on the leaves to turn… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home