Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I was up early this morning because we had a lot to get done today. First we went by the bank here in Piedmont to open up an account… It took longer there than we had figured so we had to leave before we finished the job. I was running late for my appointment with Dr. Hester. They were really nice to me even though I was ten minutes late for my appointment but I did call ahead to let them know we were running late. Dr. Hester checked my eyes and I have 20/20 vision in both eyes now. I was happy to get that news… Then we went to Tinker Air Force Base to pick up more drugs from the pharmacy. While we were on Tinker we had a quick lunch and on our way home we stopped to pick up our motor home and made a quick stop at the grocery store… I realized when we got home after I started feeling so tired and sluggish that I had forgotten to take my afternoon medication. I took them as soon as I remembered… We had ice cream with our supper and I started chilling so I put on a sweater but that didn’t fix the problem so I made myself a cup of hot tea and that helped… I called Lori, Martha, and Carole… I am really tired and grouchy tonight… Goodnight All… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home