Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

We left early this morning for my follow-up appointment with the pulmonary doctor… She changed my restless leg medication to Sinemet. She wants me to stay on the 250 Advair for three months and then she will probably reduce it… We then went to David and Lori’s so I could get my grandkid fix. Madison was outside watching for us when we drove up. She made Dave and I both a valentine and put it in an envelope with her little mark with a crayon on it. Lori fixed us a nice lunch of Enchiladas and rice. Yummy… I fed and sang to Macey, Yes she still lets me sing to her. Of course Madison looks at me funny when I sing. LOL… Dave went with David and Madison to take care of the cows. David had to leave soon after lunch for a dental appointment. We came home with plenty of leftovers and some honey. Thanks David and Lori for everything… We left there and went to check out some funeral homes. We are thinking about pre-arranging our funerals… We already own a crypt in a mausoleum… We stopped at the school in Piedmont and picked up Heather. She had stayed after school for cheer leading school… Nancy called me… I am tired tonight… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Post a Comment

<< Home