Mary's Place

A web page about the life of a lady who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Location: Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States

I live in Piedmont, OK, with my Husband of 50 years who has been very supportive. We have 2 sons,David and Kenny, 6 grandkids, and 6 great grandkids. I enjoy feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Before I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I ran a Licensed Day Care Home for Infants for 15 years. I noticed I wasn't able to remember important things and having problems with my speech. I was experiencing severe headaches. I would get lost. I didn't know how to use the computer. At the age of 55, I told my doctor. I was sent for an MRI. which showed a large amount of shrinkage. I went to a neurologist who sent me for two days of testing. I was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type. My husband and I were both in shock. I had to give up my job. I went to see a social worker. I've taken Aricept for 11 years. I can now use the computer and even do this web page. I also host a chat room for dementia patients. This is a very lonely disease. I don't want anyone to feel as lonely as I did when I was diagnosed (I thought I was the only one over 50 that had Alzheimer's). In 2006 I started taking Namenda. Also I was told I have a mixed dementia, Alzheimer's/Vascular.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Dave woke me up before breakfast this morning and before I knew it we were on our way to see Dr. Brown. But first we dropped Cindy off to be groomed. It was time for my cholesterol and liver check. They also gave me a cortisone injection while I was there. I sure hope it helps my aching joints… Then we went to Tinker Air Force base again to get the prescriptions filled that Dr. Brown wrote for us… While we were in the neighborhood of our old house we stopped by to visit Jaunita. She was as happy to see us as we were her. We never visited her much but would always wave when we saw each other out in our yards. She gave me several starts of her beautiful creeping phlox… On our way home Dave stopped by to get some more airplane fuel and then we went to Braum's for an ice cream cone. Then we went to pick up Cindy and she looks much better than I do after being groomed. It has been so windy here I look awful today… After supper Dave took a nap while I read my emails then we went out to plant the creeping phlox. Dave put them in the ground and I watered them in. We put them around our house in different areas so we can tell where they will grow best… While we were outside our neighbor Kim and Son Zachary came over. Kim told me that she and Robert are expecting a new baby. I am so excited for them. Zachary brought over his newest trophy to show me. He is involved in motocross… Paula from our local Alzheimer's Assn. contacted me and she had a new person who was wanting a phone buddy so I called that person. I also called another phone buddy and checked on her. Me being a phone buddy is working out well for those who don't have a computer… Goodnight all… Keeping The Faith In Oklahoma


Blogger sharon raphael said...

I enjoy the way you write about your daily life. Good Journaling.


March 29, 2005 at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home